The Future of TV is Streaming: Traditional TV Viewing Falls Below 50% for the First Time

Tv viewing falls below 50 percent

The world of television is shifting, and recent numbers prove it. Gone are the days when we had to plan our evenings around our favorite show’s time slot. Now, it’s all about binge-watching and streaming at our own pace. A recent report from The Hollywood Reporter confirms this change. For the first time ever, broadcast and cable TV accounted for less than half of total television consumption.

Here’s the scoop: In July, 38% of all TV watching in the U.S. was done via streaming. When we look back just two years, that number stood at 26%. Leading the pack in this streaming surge are giants like Netflix, Max, and Disney+. These platforms aren’t just recycling old shows; they’re producing fresh, gripping content every year. But they’re currently in a bit of hot water. There’s a major strike unfolding because these companies aren’t adequately compensating for streaming residuals.

Traditional TV, on the other hand, seems to be slipping. Cable TV constituted 29.6% of all viewing in July, and broadcast TV trailed at 20%. This totals a mere 49.6%, with the remaining 11.6% going to good old DVDs, Blu-rays, and video gaming on TV. Clearly, there’s a shift as people enjoy the freedom to watch what they want, when they want.

What’s Next for TV?

Even though streaming seems to be the future of television, the horizon is still uncertain. The current strikes by the Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA might be a game-changer. They’re demanding a fair share of the pie for those working on streaming content. The outcome? Well, it might reshape the industry in ways we haven’t imagined. How studios and creatives view the world of TV is bound to evolve, and only time will tell how this affects us, the audience.

Previous articleOpenAI Develops New AI GPT-4 Tool to Help with Content Moderation
Next articleBuffstreams: Here’s 105 Alternatives to It